Meta takes action against Chinese propaganda threat ahead of 2024 US election: Report

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

Meta revealed on Thursday that it had taken down numerous Facebook accounts from China, purportedly impersonating Americans and engaging in discussions on contentious issues such as abortion and healthcare, CNN reported.

The tech giant issued a warning about “foreign threat actors attempting to reach audiences” in anticipation of the 2024 US election. The fabricated accounts replicated social media posts verbatim from both Republicans, including presidential candidate Ron DeSantis, and Democrats like former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

While Meta did not attribute the network to a specific entity in China, it does reflect a broader trend of increased Chinese propaganda targeting American audiences. This development comes amid growing concerns about potential foreign influence in the 2024 presidential election, according to CNN.

Furthermore, the report noted that US national security officials suspended their efforts to flag foreign influence operations on social media platforms due to a legal challenge. Meta executives confirmed that government agencies hadn’t shared information related to foreign election interference since July, with the US Supreme Court set to address the case.

Before the court case, “there are a number of times when a tip from government has enabled us to take action … quickly” against covert foreign influence operations, Nathaniel Gleicher, Meta’s head of security policy, told reporters.

- Advertisement -

Importantly, Meta took down the Chinese network before it gained any engagement from real users on its apps.

“This is the most notable change in the threat landscape compared with 2020,” Ben Nimmo, Meta’s global threat intelligence lead, told reporters on Wednesday, referring to an increase in Chinese online influence operations in the last year aimed at audience around the world.

The company highlighted the evolving threat landscape, emphasising a significant change compared to 2020, with a notable increase in Chinese online influence operations on a global scale.

While Russia’s interference in the 2016 US elections showcased the use of trolls and bots to amplify divisions, China traditionally avoided such direct tactics. However, recent incidents, including the use of AI-generated images and a substantial online disinformation operation, suggest a shift in China’s approach.

According to a recent CNN review of court documents and public disclosures by social media companies, the Chinese government has amassed the world’s largest known online disinformation operation. This operation is reportedly employed to harass US residents, politicians, and businesses, occasionally resorting to threats of violence against its targets.

Despite these findings, China consistently denies allegations that troll farms operate from its soil.

Despite Meta’s efforts to protect elections, concerns persist about the company’s direction. This includes reported layoffs in the team countering misinformation and Meta’s decision to allow political ads questioning the outcome of the 2020 presidential election on its platforms, CNN reported.

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

Narratives Over Negotiations: How Pakistan’s Claims Are Blocking Real Security Cooperation – OpEd

The eastern frontier of Afghanistan has once again become the stage for a familiar but unsettling drama. Under the cover of night, in the...

New Chinese surveillance leaves foreigners nowhere to hide

When a cybersecurity researcher known by the pseudonym NetAskari recently clicked on a tab labeled "Inquiry for journalist files" on an unsecured Chinese web...

 Is Pakistan Chasing Global Islamic Leadership Instead of Solving Its Own Crisis?

In the current volatile atmosphere in the Middle East, the conflict between Tehran and Washington and the impending war with Iran, Pakistan suddenly has...

Drop Site Reveals Pakistan’s Covert Defense Deal with Saudi Arabia

A detailed investigation by Drop Site News reporter Murtaza Hussain revealed how the US–Iran ceasefire talks in Islamabad unexpectedly thrust Pakistan’s secretive military relationship...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

O Έλληνας πρωθυπουργός ανακοίνωσε επίσημα την απόκτηση των Bergamini

Στον επίσημο εβδομαδιαίο απολογισμό του κυβερνητικού έργου, ο πρωθυπουργός Κυριάκος Μητσοτάκης αναφέρεται στο πρόγραμμα πρόσκτησης την απόκτηση των δύο ιταλικών φρεγατών FREMM το οποίο...

Ινδός Στρατηγός ε.α. για το IIS: Η σύγκρουση Τουρκίας-Ελλάδας-Κύπρου & η νέα γεωπολιτική της περιοχής

Άρθρο του Ινδού Υποστράτηγου ε.α. Δρ. Rajan Kochhar για το IIS Η Ανατολική Μεσόγειος έχει αναδειχθεί για άλλη μια φορά ως ένα από τα πιο...

”Βόμβες” Ισραηλινών: ”Οδεύει προς το χάος η Τουρκία-Θα μείνει χρόνια ο Ερντογάν-Δεν εμπιστευόμαστε ούτε τους Κεμαλιστές”

Τι αναφέρει ισραηλινό ΜΜΕ: Ο Δρ. Χάι Εϊτάν Κοέν Γιανροτζάκ, ειδικός σε θέματα Τουρκίας από το Κέντρο Νταγιάν στο Πανεπιστήμιο του Τελ Αβίβ, προειδοποιεί: «Βλέπουμε...