U.S. charges two Chinese nationals with Huawei case obstruction-source

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

Prosecutors also unveiled charges against four Chinese nationals in what they called a long-running intelligence campaign. The complaint against He and Wang alleges they tried to obtain confidential information concerning witnesses, trial evidence and any potential new charges the company could face.

U.S. prosecutors charged two Chinese nationals with trying to obstruct the prosecution of Chinese telecommunications company Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, as part of a broader crackdown on what they called efforts to exert unlawful influence in the United States.

Chinese nationals Guochun He and Zheng Wang were charged in a criminal complaint dated Oct. 20 and made public on Monday. Court documents did not name the company, but a person familiar with the investigation said they were trying to interfere with the prosecution of Huawei (HWT.UL).

In February 2020, the Justice Department announced that Huawei had been charged in a superseding indictment for violating the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.

A spokesperson for Huawei could not be immediately reached for comment on Monday.

- Advertisement -

“The Justice Department will not tolerate attempts by any foreign power to undermine the rule of law upon which our democracy is based,” Attorney General Merrick Garland told a news conference.

Prosecutors also unveiled charges against four Chinese nationals in what they called a long-running intelligence campaign.

The complaint against He and Wang alleges they tried to obtain confidential information concerning witnesses, trial evidence and any potential new charges the company could face.

To do that, it alleges they tried to recruit someone from a U.S. law enforcement agency who they thought would help them spy for China.

The recruit, who is referred to only as “GE-1,” was actually working as a double agent for the United States under FBI supervision, the complaint says.

Since October 2021, He and Wang paid the recruit $14,000 plus $600 worth of jewelry, in exchange for what they believed was confidential information about the Justice Department’s investigation and criminal prosecution of the company, the complaint said.

According to the complaint, He and Wang first started trying to access nonpublic information about the Justice Department’s investigation when the company was initially charged in 2019.

But their activity escalated in the summer of 2021, with He asking GE-1 about the details of meetings with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York as prosecutors were discussing preparations for the jury trial.

In response, GE-1 passed He a piece of paper that appeared to be marked as classified. That page purported to discuss a plan by federal investigators to arrest two of the company’s China-based executives.

In exchange for that page, He paid GE-1 $41,000 in bitcoin, the complaint says.

Later that same year, GE-1 also passed along a second page that also purportedly discussed legal strategy, including the use of several cooperating witnesses in the prosecution.

Reuters

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

Narratives Over Negotiations: How Pakistan’s Claims Are Blocking Real Security Cooperation – OpEd

The eastern frontier of Afghanistan has once again become the stage for a familiar but unsettling drama. Under the cover of night, in the...

New Chinese surveillance leaves foreigners nowhere to hide

When a cybersecurity researcher known by the pseudonym NetAskari recently clicked on a tab labeled "Inquiry for journalist files" on an unsecured Chinese web...

 Is Pakistan Chasing Global Islamic Leadership Instead of Solving Its Own Crisis?

In the current volatile atmosphere in the Middle East, the conflict between Tehran and Washington and the impending war with Iran, Pakistan suddenly has...

Drop Site Reveals Pakistan’s Covert Defense Deal with Saudi Arabia

A detailed investigation by Drop Site News reporter Murtaza Hussain revealed how the US–Iran ceasefire talks in Islamabad unexpectedly thrust Pakistan’s secretive military relationship...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

O Έλληνας πρωθυπουργός ανακοίνωσε επίσημα την απόκτηση των Bergamini

Στον επίσημο εβδομαδιαίο απολογισμό του κυβερνητικού έργου, ο πρωθυπουργός Κυριάκος Μητσοτάκης αναφέρεται στο πρόγραμμα πρόσκτησης την απόκτηση των δύο ιταλικών φρεγατών FREMM το οποίο...

Ινδός Στρατηγός ε.α. για το IIS: Η σύγκρουση Τουρκίας-Ελλάδας-Κύπρου & η νέα γεωπολιτική της περιοχής

Άρθρο του Ινδού Υποστράτηγου ε.α. Δρ. Rajan Kochhar για το IIS Η Ανατολική Μεσόγειος έχει αναδειχθεί για άλλη μια φορά ως ένα από τα πιο...

”Βόμβες” Ισραηλινών: ”Οδεύει προς το χάος η Τουρκία-Θα μείνει χρόνια ο Ερντογάν-Δεν εμπιστευόμαστε ούτε τους Κεμαλιστές”

Τι αναφέρει ισραηλινό ΜΜΕ: Ο Δρ. Χάι Εϊτάν Κοέν Γιανροτζάκ, ειδικός σε θέματα Τουρκίας από το Κέντρο Νταγιάν στο Πανεπιστήμιο του Τελ Αβίβ, προειδοποιεί: «Βλέπουμε...