10.3 C
Athens
Τετάρτη, 18 Φεβρουαρίου, 2026

UN asks Taliban to lift bans on female education, work for aid agencies

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

Top UN diplomat in Afghanistan met Taliban-appointed education minister Mohammad Nadeem in Kabul on Saturday and called for the urgent lifting of the bans on female education and work for aid agencies.

“Afghanistan is entering a new period of crisis. Taliban bans on female education & work for aid agencies will harm all Afghans. UN envoy Potzel Markus called for the urgent lifting of the bans in a meeting today with de facto authorities’ Minister Higher Education, Moh. Nadeem,” United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said in a tweet.

The Taliban took over Afghanistan in August 2021 and imposed policies severely restricting basic rights–particularly those of women and girls, according to Human Rights Watch.

Last month, the Taliban imposed a restriction on female higher education and a ban on women from working in humanitarian nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). Human rights experts and members of the international community described these measures as a major blow to vulnerable communities, women, children, and the entire country.

In the last week of December, the members of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) said they are deeply alarmed by reports that the Taliban have suspended access to universities for women and girls.

- Advertisement -

They called on the Taliban to swiftly reverse these policies and practices, which represent an increasing erosion of the respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.

Additionally, the UNSC members expressed profound concern over the ban on female employees of NGOs and international organizations from going to work. They said that this move would significantly and immediately impact humanitarian operations in the country, including those of the UN, and the delivery of aid and health work.

Moreover, the members pointed out that these restrictions contradict the commitments made by the Taliban to the Afghan people as well as the expectations of the international community.

Earlier this week, TOLOnews reported that the UN Security Council will hold a closed-door meeting next week to discuss the Taliban’s decision to ban women from working in NGOs in Afghanistan.

Japan and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have requested a closed-door meeting of the UNSC on January 13 to discuss decisions announced by the Taliban, the UAE mission to the UN said in a statement on Twitter.

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

China, Three-Self Church Ready to Enforce the New Propaganda Regulations

The Chinese Communist Party’s new “Regulations on Ideological and Political Work” were introduced with the seriousness typically reserved for constitutional changes or the launch...

After Gen Z uprising, Bangladesh vote shows limits of youth power

In an election triggered by a Gen Z–led uprising in Bangladesh, a youth-driven party secured only six seats in the 300-member parliament, showing the...

India, Greece discuss enhancing maritime cooperation

Indian Navy chief, Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, met Greek Navy General Staff chief Vice Admiral Dimitrios Eleftherios Kataras here on Monday, with discussions focused...

From India to Israel: Foreign Scapegoats for Pakistan’s Own Terror Problem

The devastating suicide bombing at the Khadija-tul-Kubra mosque in Islamabad on February 6, 2026, which claimed 32 lives and left nearly 170 injured, serves...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

Σομαλιλάνδη προς Ελλάδα: ”Πρέπει να μας αναγνωρίσετε-Η συνεργασία θα σας δώσει ένα στρατηγικό προπύργιο και πιθανή πρόσβαση στον Κόλπο του Άντεν & θα στείλετε...

Η Ελλάδα θα πρέπει να αναγνωρίσει τη Δημοκρατία της Σομαλιλάνδης το συντομότερο δυνατό. Καθώς η Τουρκία επιδιώκει να εδραιώσει την επιρροή της στο Κέρας...

Ισραηλινές πηγές: ”Ο πόλεμος κατά του ιρανικού καθεστώτος θα διαρκέσει εβδομάδες”-Το Ιράν προετοιμάζεται για επίθεση

Πηγές του Λ. Οίκου προς τον Ισραηλινό δημοσιογράφο Barak Ravid * Ο πόλεμος κατά του ιρανικού καθεστώτος θα διαρκέσει εβδομάδες * Η επίθεση θα...

Οι Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες βρίσκονται στη διαδικασία απόσυρσης και των περίπου 1.000 στρατιωτών τους από τη Συρία!-Ανησυχία στο Ισραήλ

Οι Ηνωμένες Πολιτείες βρίσκονται στη διαδικασία απόσυρσης και των περίπου 1.000 στρατιωτών τους από τη Συρία, τερματίζοντας μια δεκαετή στρατιωτική επιχείρηση στη χώρα με...

Αντίστροφη μέτρηση: Συνάντηση Τραμπ με κορυφαίους συμβούλους για το Ιράν εν μέσω αυξανόμενης απειλής πολέμου – Ο Ισραηλινός πρωθυπουργός διέταξε τις Ένοπλες Δυνάμεις να...

Ο Πρόεδρος Τραμπ συγκάλεσε τους κορυφαίους συμβούλους του την Τετάρτη για μια συνάντηση σχετικά με την κρίση με το Ιράν, δήλωσαν δύο Αμερικανοί αξιωματούχοι...