12.8 C
Athens
Πέμπτη, 3 Απριλίου, 2025

Protest in China over frozen bank accounts ends in violence

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

A rare large-scale protest in China’s central Henan province has been violently broken up by unidentified security personnel, amid outcry over a financial scandal that has exposed the fragility of the country’s banking system.

A crowd of more than 1,000 protesters, according to some estimates, had gathered on Sunday in front of the Zhengzhou sub-branch of the People’s Bank of China to attempt to recover frozen savings held in rural banks.

Footage reviewed by the Guardian showed protesters demanding local authorities help them retrieve their savings. Some held banners that said: “Henan banks, give me my money back!”, while others called for China’s premier, Li Keqiang, to personally intervene.

White-shirted security guards confronted the crowd. Video showed them dragging protesters and beating them up. One man with a swollen eye said he had been beaten by “gangsters” and dragged on to a bus by police.

Late on Monday night, Henan’s provincial banking and insurance regulator said customers will begin to get some of their money back. Individual customers with deposits of up to 50,000 yuan ($7,442) will be repaid starting Friday, the regulator said, while arrangements for repaying others will be separately announced.

- Advertisement -

The authorities’ claim on Monday that the problems were caused by a takeover of the bank by “criminal gangs” which they said dated back to 2011 was met with scepticism on Chinese social media where the incident in Zhengzhou was being followed closely.

A number of angry commenters posted on the Weibo account of the US embassy, urging Washington to pay attention to the plight of the victims.

In April, a large number of depositors caused a bank run when they tried to withdraw their savings from four banks in Henan. They then began to stage demonstrations to demand their money back.

The saga drew further attention in June, when some protesters reported that their personal health codes – which are now mandatory for almost all Chinese citizens to access public venues – turned red to indicate they were Covid positive. They suspected local officials were behind the move, in an attempt to dissuade them from complaining.

One of the victims was Ms Yang, who had 499,500 yuan (£62,000) held in one of the banks. On 18 April, she discovered she was unable to access her funds. “I got the red code for about 10 days [when trying to complain],” she told the Guardian. “The government should help us to resume cash withdrawal service as early as possible, so that we can resume our normal life.”

Advertisement

Henan province’s banking and insurance regulator said late on Sunday that it was “accelerating” plans to tackle the local financial crisis and “protect the legal rights and interests of the broader public”.

“(Authorities) are coming up with a plan to deal with the issue, which will be announced in the near future,” the statement said.

Earlier reports blamed “criminal gangs” for taking control of local banks. Gangs had made illegal transfers through fictitious loans and used their shareholdings – as well as “manipulation of executives” – to effectively take over several local banks starting in 2011, Henan police said.

Michael Pettis, a professor of finance at Peking University, said the events in Henan had been a “very worrying reminder” of what would happen if China’s existing economic model became unsustainable.

“It seems that any long period of soaring real-estate prices and explosive growth in debt creates powerful incentives for excessive risk-taking and even fraud,” said Pettis.

The result, he said, was that as the authorities took steps to rein in the bubble, they were always caught unprepared for the extent of the hidden losses and fraud they discovered in the system.

He added: “Because the past decade in China has seen a real estate bubble of historic proportions, along with among the fastest increases in debt ever seen, I suspect we are going to see a lot more of this in the next few years.”

The scandal has rocked Chinese regulators. After it was first reported in April, Henan’s Provincial Commission for Discipline Inspection launched a special campaign targeting rural lenders, according to the Chinese business journal Caixin, citing sources familiar with the matter.

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

U.S. House introduces bill to dismantle China’s secret police stations on American soil

On March 14, 2025, U.S. House lawmakers introduced a new bipartisan bill aimed at dismantling and preventing the operation of China’s secret police stations...

“There will be no surprise if Pakistan splits into four pieces soon…” Shahbaz Government in Pakistan shocked with the statement of JUI Supremo.

Maulana Fazlur Rehman has expressed concern over Pakistan’s security situation. He stated that Balochistan is under the control of terrorists, and due to increasing...

Pilot Error or Cover-Up? The K-8 Crash and SLAF’s Integrity at Stake

On March 21, 2025, a Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) K-8 trainer aircraft crashed in Wariyapola during a routine training exercise. Both pilots ejected...

Fair Play in Question: EU Targets BYD’s Chinese Government Backing

The European Union (EU) has initiated an investigation into BYD, a major Chinese electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer, focusing on its operations at a plant...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

Aποκλειστικό-Καταιγιστικές εξελίξεις: Συγκρούσεις Ισραηλινού Στρατού με τους ισλαμιστές της Συρίας!-Το Ισραήλ κατέστρεψε όλες τις στρατιωτικές αεροπορικές βάσεις, εκτός από τη ρωσική βάση Hmeymim

Ένοπλες συγκρούσεις μεταξύ του Ισραηλινού Στρατού και των μαχητών που υποστηρίζουν τη Χαγιάτ Ταχρίρ αλ-Σαμ (HTS) στη Νταράα, στη νότια Συρία, συνεχίζονται την τελευταία...

Αποκλειστικό: Συγκλονιστικό ”λόγκο” από την Ινδική ΠΑ-Ινδικό Su-30 ”πετάει” ανάμεσα σε Ελληνική Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία & στο γνωστό μνημείο ”India Gate”

Κάτι πρωτόγνωρο συμβάινει στην πολυεθνική άσκηση Ηνίοχος 2025, που πραγματοποείται υπό την αιγίδα των Ελληνικών Ενόπλων Δυνάμεων, καθώς τα αεροσκάφη της πολεμικής μας αεροπορίας έχουν την...

Ισραηλινός αντιαεροπορικός «θόλος» επί ελληνικού εδάφους κατά των τουρκικών Bayraktar

Του ΓΙΩΡΓΟΥ ΣΙΔΕΡΗ, Hellas Journal Ο κος. Μητσοτάκης κατά την ομιλία του στην Βουλή για το δωδεκαετές εξοπλιστικό πρόγραμμα ύψους 25 δισεκατομμυρίων € (σ.σ. 2,08...

Ο Λευκός Οίκος διαψεύδει το Politico για τα περί αποχώρησης Μασκ από την κυβέρνηση Τραμπ

Σημερινό (02/04) δημοσίευμα του Politico ανέφερε ότι ο Έλον Μασκ αναμένεται να αποχωρήσει μέσα στις επόμενες εβδομάδες από επικεφαλής του Τμήματος Κυβερνητικής Αποτελεσματικότητας (DOGE)...