10.7 C
Athens
Κυριακή, 22 Φεβρουαρίου, 2026

Hong Kong: 6 arrested on 33rd anniversary of Tiananmen massacre

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

Police confirmed that they had arrested five men and one woman, between the ages of 19 and 80. One was accused of possessing an offensive weapon; three were accused of obstructing officers; and one was said to have incited others to join an unauthorized assembly. It was not clear what the sixth person was accused of, reported CNN.
For the second year in a row, the sea of candlelight that used to illuminate Hong Kong’s Victoria Park every June 4 was extinguished, as authorities sought to snuff out all public commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre from the city — the last place on Chinese controlled soil where they were held.

But the heavy police presence on Saturday failed to deter some Hongkongers from approaching the park and conducting their own acts of commemoration in defiance — by holding up electronic candles and phone flashlights or quietly singing songs of remembrance.
“It’s heartbreaking to see (Victoria Park) like this,” said a woman surnamed Lau who came to the park with a bouquet of white and red roses and electric candles.

“Hong Kong has sunk far and fast into a police state,” said Lau, a longtime volunteer for the Tiananmen Mothers Campaign, a group supporting the families of the victims.
For three decades, Hong Kong had mourned the victims of China’s bloody military crackdown on pro-democracy protesters with a candlelight vigil on the night of June 4 that would be attended by tens of thousands of people vowing never to forget.
But since 2020, the Hong Kong government has banned the event citing risks from the coronavirus — though many Hongkongers believe that is just an excuse to clamp down on shows of public dissent following pro-democracy protests that swept the city in 2019, reported CNN.

On Friday, a government statement said large parts of Victoria Park would be closed from Friday night until the early hours of Sunday to “prevent any unauthorized assemblies which affect public safety and public order, and to prevent the risk of virus transmission due to such gatherings.”
It came a day after police warned that residents risk committing the crime of “unlawful assembly” if they showed up in the park — even if alone.Throughout Saturday, large numbers of police patrolled the park and the neighboring Causeway Bay shopping district.

Among those they stopped and searched were people wearing black — the color of protest in Hong Kong, carrying flowers or walking with their phone torches switched on.
The police also cordoned off an area of a nearby shopping street where in previous years pro-democracy activists would gather to promote the vigil, sending some passersby there to be searched.

- Advertisement -

Still, some people were determined to visit the park and make their own small gestures of commemoration.
Lau, the Tiananmen Mothers Campaign volunteer, held up an electric candle for a photo in front of the barricaded football field. She said she and her colleagues had been handing out electric candles to Hongkongers all afternoon — in keeping with the group’s tradition.
“I think the vigil is the most important symbol of Hong Kong people’s pursuit of freedom — it shows the world our unswerving determination. I believe we all have a candle lit in our hearts tonight, no matter whether we choose to come out or not,” she said.
After nightfall, the police sealed off more areas of the park, driving residents out with advancing cordon lines. Eventually, all the entrances were blocked off, allowing people only to leave the park.

Inside the park, two women sang “Democracy Will Triumph and Return,” one of the vigil’s traditional songs, as they walked down a jogging path. Police followed not far behind, pressing forward the cordon line.
Outside the park, people who could no longer enter walked along nearby streets, some with their phone flashlights turned on, reported CNN.

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

US and Japan unveil $36bn of oil, gas and critical minerals projects in challenge to China

Japan has drawn up plans for investments in US oil, gas and critical mineral projects worth about $36bn under the first wave of a...

US envoy Sergio Gor at India’s Western Army Command near Pakistan: Why this is bad news for Asim Munir

The visit of the United States ambassador to India and the top American military commander for the Indo-Pacific to an Indian Army command located...

A deadly attack after years of relative calm raises urgent questions about militant regrouping in Pakistan

After a few relatively calm years, Pakistan finds itself back under the shadow of brutal terrorism. If anything, the Islamic State Khorosan Province’s (ISKP)...

‘India key to global AI growth’, say tech leaders ahead of mega summit

With just a day to go for the mega AI-India Impact summit 2026, there is a huge buzz in the tech corridors as the...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

ΗΠΑ και Ιαπωνία αποκαλύπτουν έργα πετρελαίου, φυσικού αερίου και κρίσιμων ορυκτών αξίας 36 δισεκατομμυρίων δολαρίων, αμφισβητώντας την Κίνα

Η Ιαπωνία έχει καταρτίσει σχέδια για επενδύσεις σε αμερικανικά έργα πετρελαίου, φυσικού αερίου και κρίσιμων ορυκτών αξίας περίπου 36 δισεκατομμυρίων δολαρίων, στο πλαίσιο του...

US and Japan unveil $36bn of oil, gas and critical minerals projects in challenge to China

Japan has drawn up plans for investments in US oil, gas and critical mineral projects worth about $36bn under the first wave of a...

Αποκάλυψη: Το Ισραήλ προετοιμάστηκε για αμερικανική επίθεση αυτό το Σαββατοκύριακο – Τι άλλαξε την περασμένη Πέμπτη – Η αλλαγή στρατηγικής

Το Ισραήλ προετοιμαζόταν για μια αμερικανική επίθεση στο Ιράν, αλλά προς την Πέμπτη έγινε σαφές ότι είχε αναβληθεί για άλλη ημερομηνία, ίσως όχι μακριά....

”Βόμβα” αμερικανού αναλυτή: ”Η Ινδία πρέπει να βρίσκεται σε συναγερμό-Κίνδυνος η πυρηνική Τουρκία”

Τι αναφέρει ο Michael Rubin για ινδικό ΜΜΕ Το Πακιστάν κυριαρχούσε για πολύ καιρό στην ινδική πυρηνική σκέψη. Αυτό δεν θα έπρεπε να αποτελεί έκπληξη....