CBC Shuts Down China Bureau Citing Lack Of Visa

Περισσότερα Νέα

- Advertisement -

Canada’s public broadcaster said it has closed its China news bureau after more than 40 years of operating in the country, saying their journalist’s “repeated requests” for a work visa had been ignored.

CBC News Editor-in-Chief Brodie Fenlon wrote in a blog post on Wednesday that the China correspondent for French-language counterpart Radio-Canada had not received a visa since applying in October 2020.

“Despite numerous exchanges with the Chinese consulate in Montreal and requests for meetings over the last two years, there is still no visa,” Fenlon wrote.

“Closing the Beijing bureau is the last thing we want to do, but our hand has been forced.”

CBC’s closure of its China news bureau follows the mass expulsion of over a dozen journalists from American media outlets in March 2020 in a US-China tit-for-tat, after which it has been increasingly difficult for foreign reporters to obtain Chinese visas.

- Advertisement -

Since 2020, the number of new foreign correspondent visas has dried up dramatically, with wait times for a new one typically lasting several months.

Beijing cites pandemic border controls for the delays in awarding new visas.

Independent Chinese media is virtually non-existent due to local regulations, leaving foreign journalists to report on sensitive topics under difficult conditions.

Foreign media journalists regularly encounter state harassment and surveillance in their reporting activities, as well as denial of access to official events.

“As the number of journalists forced out by the Chinese state grows due to excessive intimidation or outright expulsions, covering China is increasingly becoming an exercise in remote reporting,” the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China said in its 2022 report.

CBC’s last Beijing correspondent, Sasa Petricic, returned to Canada after China locked down over the Covid-19 pandemic, and the broadcaster has only been able to return once for the February 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, the note said.

For the next two years, the CBS and Radio-Canada correspondent Philippe Leblanc will instead work from Taiwan, Fenlon said.

“We hope China will someday open up again to our journalists,” he wrote.

China ranked 175th out of 180 countries in Reporters Without Borders’ 2022 Media Freedom Index.

- Advertisement -

ΑΠΑΝΤΗΣΤΕ

εισάγετε το σχόλιό σας!
παρακαλώ εισάγετε το όνομά σας εδώ

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Ροή ειδήσεων

ΣΧΕΤΙΚΑ ΑΡΘΡΑ

Narratives Over Negotiations: How Pakistan’s Claims Are Blocking Real Security Cooperation – OpEd

The eastern frontier of Afghanistan has once again become the stage for a familiar but unsettling drama. Under the cover of night, in the...

New Chinese surveillance leaves foreigners nowhere to hide

When a cybersecurity researcher known by the pseudonym NetAskari recently clicked on a tab labeled "Inquiry for journalist files" on an unsecured Chinese web...

 Is Pakistan Chasing Global Islamic Leadership Instead of Solving Its Own Crisis?

In the current volatile atmosphere in the Middle East, the conflict between Tehran and Washington and the impending war with Iran, Pakistan suddenly has...

Drop Site Reveals Pakistan’s Covert Defense Deal with Saudi Arabia

A detailed investigation by Drop Site News reporter Murtaza Hussain revealed how the US–Iran ceasefire talks in Islamabad unexpectedly thrust Pakistan’s secretive military relationship...

ΔΗΜΟΦΙΛΗ ΑΡΘΡΑ

O Έλληνας πρωθυπουργός ανακοίνωσε επίσημα την απόκτηση των Bergamini

Στον επίσημο εβδομαδιαίο απολογισμό του κυβερνητικού έργου, ο πρωθυπουργός Κυριάκος Μητσοτάκης αναφέρεται στο πρόγραμμα πρόσκτησης την απόκτηση των δύο ιταλικών φρεγατών FREMM το οποίο...

Ινδός Στρατηγός ε.α. για το IIS: Η σύγκρουση Τουρκίας-Ελλάδας-Κύπρου & η νέα γεωπολιτική της περιοχής

Άρθρο του Ινδού Υποστράτηγου ε.α. Δρ. Rajan Kochhar για το IIS Η Ανατολική Μεσόγειος έχει αναδειχθεί για άλλη μια φορά ως ένα από τα πιο...

”Βόμβες” Ισραηλινών: ”Οδεύει προς το χάος η Τουρκία-Θα μείνει χρόνια ο Ερντογάν-Δεν εμπιστευόμαστε ούτε τους Κεμαλιστές”

Τι αναφέρει ισραηλινό ΜΜΕ: Ο Δρ. Χάι Εϊτάν Κοέν Γιανροτζάκ, ειδικός σε θέματα Τουρκίας από το Κέντρο Νταγιάν στο Πανεπιστήμιο του Τελ Αβίβ, προειδοποιεί: «Βλέπουμε...